Wednesday, March 17, 2010

She is Here!


So surprise- our baby decided to be born 10 days early! Reese Lorie Watts arrived at 11:25am on Monday March 15th, 2010. She weighed in at a nice 8 pounds 2 ounces and is just about 21 inches long.

Here is the short version of the story (longer version is below if you're interested): water broke at 2:00 am, hospital by 5:00am, active labor by 7:00am, started pushing at 10:15, Reese was born at 11:25am.



As some of you know, Spencer and I had decided to try for a natural birth. There are a lot of benefits to Mom and baby, and we have had several friends who have had amazing experiences. We took several classes and practiced a lot of relaxation techniques at home. We were successful, and delivered Reese without an epidural. Due to back labor (intense pressure in the lower back because the baby has not fully turned) I did take one dose of an IV medication to "take the edge off" during the transition phase (when the cervix finishes dilating and you move into pushing.) But we still considered it a success.

Child birth was the most physically and emotionally trying experience of my life, but also one of the most gratifying ones. Spencer and I were able to connect on a new level, and I truly could not have done it without him as my partner. He is the most amazing husband and my absolute best friend. He is an awesome Daddy- Reese loves him so much.



Being a Mom is the absolute best. I have never felt anything like it- that first moment of looking at and holding our sweet little baby. It was all worth it, and I love being with her every second of every day. She is such a doll and brings an added sweet spirit to our home. Her cry is very small and sweet and she coos all the time.


 Longer version of the story: Sunday was a totally normal day- the baby had not dropped at all. We went to church and then to Mom and Dad's for games. I wasn't contracting and felt totally normal. At 2:00am my water broke. I wasn't positive that was what happened, but after about 30 minutes and a contraction or two I woke Spence up.

We labored at home until about 4:30. My contractions were already coming about 5 minutes apart and were getting stronger. I was handling them just fine, but we decided to head to the hospital. We gave birth at Evergreen Hospital which is about 30 minutes from our house. We arrived and got all checked in and settled. I had not been checked by my doctor at all, so we weren't sure what we would find but I was already dilated to 4 cm.

By 7:00am I was in active labor. I had been handling my contractions well, but the baby had not fully turned so I had a lot of back pain. Half the time I wasn't even concerned about the actual contraction, just the pressure in my back. After trying several different positions and techniques, we decided that I needed some help to keep going. I was dilated to an 8 by this point, so we decided to try one dose of an IV drug to "take the edge off." I am so glad we made that decision, as it allowed me to move through transition and proceed without an epidural.

At 10:15 I started pushing. Our doctor was there for the last 4 pushes and Reese was born. Like I said, that first moment of seeing our baby and holding her for the first time made it all worth it. She is meant to be ours and I can't imagine life without her. We love her so much!

11 comments:

Tommy said...

So proud of you guys. Of course it was successful, you have a cute little girl! I hope she's okay with dating guys younger than her... We should arrange the whole thing.

Blake and Holly said...

CONGRATS AMY and SPencer!! How exciting! She is darling and I am so happy for you two! I LOVE the name! So cute! Have fun with her!

~H said...

FRIENDS!! YEAYYYY!!!! Oh my heavens she is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations guys!! We are so exctied for you!! Makyla is needing me right now so I wasn't able to read the post just look at the pictures so... I'll be back to hear how it all went but I hope everything went well! xoxo we sure love you guys and are soooo excited for you! Can't wait to meet sweet little Reese! :)

Jodee said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys, Madison can't wait to meet her! I am so happy that all is well and she is here safe and sound. Please let us know if you need anything!

da Silva Family said...

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful baby!! I'm so glad that everything went well and look forward to meeting her in person!!!

Brittney Wimmer said...

Yeah! Congratulations guys!!! We're so excited! She looks beautiful! I'm so glad everything went well and little Reese is finally here! Yeah for ten days early! We can't wait until Reese and Sailor can play together!

jhoopes said...

Oh yay!!!! I am so happy she is here. I wanted to know all of the details, too, so thanks for sharing!! :) She is just beautiful and you both look so happy. She is one lucky little girl. I am so happy that things went so well for you during the delivery. I am sure you know by now that I ran into your mom today at Fred Meyer! It was so crazy since I was planning on stopping by to give you a little healthy snack for the times when you are starving!! ;) Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Oh how I have anticipated this post! Those cheeks are amazing (I'm talking about Reese's even though yours are quite fabulous as well). She is so precious and way to go Amy! Give her a kiss from Aunt Sara for me and a high-5 from cousin Jack.

Deedles said...

Congratulations to you guys! She is beautiful! We can't wait to meet her! Glad that everything went well and way to go on not getting the epidural! What a beautiful family!

The Lotts said...

Yay!! Congrats! We couldn't be more happy for you and cant wait to meet the little one. Love you guys and we LOVE her name :)

Tierra said...

Her little cheeks just scream to be kissed--she is such a doll! And Amy, you are a CHAMP to do it natural--way better woman than I ever aspire to be!