Friday, February 11, 2011

Funny February Holidays



I was recently inspired by my friend Sara. She is super creative in the activities and parties she plans for her and her hubby, their one year old and their friends. This year they celebrated Groundhog's Day. This is from her blog (which is private or I'd send you all over there right now.)

"And yes we celebrated Phil this year by watching one of our all time favorite movies Groundhog day. I could watch that movie today and the next day, and the next, and the next.... We also enjoyed some delicious Punxsutawney Phil Pie. I first attempted to draw a groundhog with the chocolate syrup but that ended in disaster. So I quickly watercolored up this picture instead. The pie was topped with grasshopper cookies because groundhogs occasionally eat grasshoppers."

Spence and I pretty much do the same things every night- watch a show, play a game, workout or read (and of course play with Reese.) So in an effort to be a little more creative, we are starting to celebrate the totally random holidays in each month. For example... did you know today is White T-Shirt Day? All three of us are participating. How easy was that?


Tomorrow is Abraham Lincoln's birthday and we will be celebrating it by reading a picture book about his life and cooking his favorite meal- chicken fricassee and biscuits. We were going to make pretzel log cabins but I think we will wait until Reese is a little older.

Here are a few more days that might be fun to celebrate with your kids:

Feb. 14- Valentine's Day, obviously
Feb. 15- Gumdrop Day- We will be making sculptures with gum drops and toothpicks
Feb. 17- Random Acts of Kindness Day
Feb. 20- Love Your Pet Day- Reese and I will take Bicho to the dog park and visit Petco
Feb. 24- Tortilla Chip Day- nachos for dinner!
Feb. 26- Tell a Fairy Tale Day- a whole day of fairy tale books and games
Feb. 27- Polar Bear Day- we will visit the library to read some books about polar bears
Feb. 28- Tooth Fairy Day- maybe Reese will be nice and let me brush her teeth without screaming


Hopefully we can get some pictures of these celebrations to share. Let me know if you do anything fun for these special days!

2 comments:

sara said...

I am honored. Haha! I love it. Tortilla Chip day has my name all over it! Way to go Amy!

jhoopes said...

What a fun idea!!! I love it. We are going to have to adopt your traditions. :)