Sunday, November 21, 2010

Carnival Splendor- Monday afternoon and Tuesday

Sorry it took me so long to continue the epic saga- we moved this week! More on that later, but for now let me take you back to the Splendor.


Captain's Log Monday November 8th, 2010 1600 hours
Due to my forsight and many years as a seasoned sea captain I have just barely decided to contact the closest port- Ensanada Mexico. We are still unsure whether we can get our propulsion system running, so Ensanada has dispatched 2 tug boats in case we need to be towed in. Luckily it is a lovely 65 degrees, cloudy and windy so I'm sure the passengers will enjoy sun bathing out on deck.

1700 hours
I have just been informed that some passengers have the audacity to be worrying about how Carnival will be compensating them for this little speed bump. If it were up to me, the passengers would be grateful! It's not everyday you have a hero for a captain. I guess 15 hours without working toilets would make my 3374 passengers a little crabby.

* This was a the longest day EVER! We walked around, stood in line for food, read, played 2-person Yahtzee, Skipbo and Phase 10, laid in our room (it was impossible to nap as they were making announcements every 5 seconds.) We went on deck but it was cloudy and windy. It was not awesome. 

2200 hours
We just made the last announcement of the night, but I'm sure the passengers will hear my melodious voice even in their dreams. The toilets are working and we expect the tug boats between 1 and 4am. So all in all, not a bad day. I think I'll wear my Spongebob tie for Letterman.

Tuesday November 9th, 2010 0400 hours
The tugboats we expected by now have not arrived. Apparently they have all night Happy Hours in Ensanada and they won't be here until mid-day. It's just as well, because I am doing a great job in the mean time.

0600 hours
So I just got a call from the US Coastguard and the US Navy. Apparently they are sending a Coastguard boat and an aircraft carrier. It's completely unnecessary- I have it all under control. 

US Coastguard

USS Ronald Reagan


0800 hours
Uh Oh- we are running out of water and food. I guess it's good that the USS Ronald Reagan is here and it's helicopter can fly in some provisions. We thought we saw a huge piece of drift wood, but it turned out to be a Mexican Navy ship. I radioed over, but they didn't have any hot tacos on board. 
 The helicopter from the Ronald Reagan brought us 60 pallets of supplies.

 The ship from the Mexican Navy

* So today we really did see the Coast Guard, the Mexican Navy and the USS Ronald Reagan. That was probably the brightest spot in our trip so far. It's a good thing it wasn't the USS Jimmy Carter or Spence might have thrown himself overboard. 

The captain told us the plan was to be tugged to Ensanada and we would disembark there. I thought it sounded disastrous- how were they going to get all 3374 of us off the ship, through customs and border patrol and then into the US? So at 6:00pm on Tuesday he announced that we would be tugged to San Diego instead. This meant that we would be on the ship an extra day and a half- we would arrive in San Diego Thursday night. Throughout the day we went from having 1 tug boat to two to expecting 5 total but only ever ended up with three.

One of our tug boats- the Chihuahua
More to come soon!

1 comment:

sara said...

Amy! So Logan and I have been planning to Cruise at the beginning of next year to celebrate me weening Jack and Logan graduating. But now I am having second thoughts. Haha. I am sure your story is one in a million, but still! Maybe we'll go a little more simple. Glad you made it back to the US!