Friday, December 17, 2010

The Christmas Tie

My Dad has a million ties. He has worn a tie to work everyday probably since before I was born. Some people in his office take a 'casual Friday.' Not my Dad- he still wears a tie. My Mom has offered to get him a nice rotating tie rack. He said no- he keeps them all on a wooden rack and he says he has a system. Some ties have been given to him as gifts. Some ties are from other countries. Some ties are really, really nice. Some ties are not. When my little brother was asked to describe our Dad for a Father's Day project, one of the first things he said was "my Dad wears a tie."

My Dad is a wonderful man. He has worked hard his whole life to support his family, to teach us the things we need to know about the gospel and the world. But he plays hard too. When I was little, he would come home from work and take his tie off- that meant he was ready to play. I know my Dad was busy with work and callings and personal interests but he took the time to play with us every night. He is my friend and he cares about me. When he gives me a hug it is never cursory- he means it every time.
 

I told my Dad once, probably a long time ago, that this is my favorite of his ties. I don't know where he bought it or who gave it to him. I don't even remember when I told him that. But every year at Christmas he saves this tie just for me. When I would come home from college for the holidays he would wear it to church for me. This tie is one of the many ways that he tells me how much he loves me. I live closer to him now and I get to see him more often, so you might think small gestures like this wouldn't need to happen any more. But last week when we went to have lunch with him at his office he wore this tie again- just for me.

2 comments:

The Lotts said...

Looks like my Dad's closet...he wears a tie everyday and always asks for ties for Christmas, birthdays and Father's Day. He says when we has a new tie it makes the whole outfit feel new. :)

Leslie Scoresby said...

Little things mean the most! Thanks Amy!!!