Sunday, December 5, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

 We headed south for Thanksgiving this year as it was Spencer's family's turn. The Watts clan does Thanksgiving in St. George with Ed's family, so not only did we drive 12 hours to Logan but then we pulled an extra 5.5 to St. George. It was worth it though. We were do happy to stay in Logan with Ed and Lorie for a night. They usually don't put up their Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving, but they had it all up as a surprise for us. Reese had to get her picture with Santa in their living room.
 Reese and Mimi (Spencer's mom, Lorie)

Spencer's brother Paul and his family came all the way from Texas. Reese loved her cousins- especially Ruby, who is almost 2. She would just watch her walk around and crawled after her all the time. All of their kids were so sweet to Reese and we were thrilled they were with us. Dallin and his girlfriend Morgan came too. We are all excited for that to become more official sometime soon.
 Reese and Ruby


Thanksgiving night we got a big surprise. Ed and Lorie always give us a gift that night to start the Christmas season- usually a book. But then they gave us a box to all open together- even Spencer's sister Lisa and her husband Ken were on the phone with us. Inside the box was a little piece of paper that read "We are going on a mission." We were shocked! They have been called to preside over a Spanish speaking mission, but we won't know which one until early March. We couldn't be more excited for them, but we will of course miss them tons since they will be gone for 3 years. We are already saving our money in case we need to visit them in Argentina or something. 

 Reese's first Thanksgiving

Spencer had to drive home Monday, but Reese and I stayed in Layton so I could see my 2 grandmas and my sisters. When I lived in Logan, I spent a lot of time at Christmas with my Grandma Edna. She and I would put up her tree and decorations, go to Temple Square, watch Christmas movies and make holiday candy. She loves Reese so much, so it was fun to do some of these things just the 3 of us.
 Reese bundled up to see the lights in Layton Park


 Reese standing up and trying to climb the stairs- which she did successfully several times

My sweet Grandma Edna reading Reese a book

So Thanksgiving was awesome- full of family and food and fun. We love Spencer's side of our family so much- Paul and Glory, and Dallin and Morgan are so awesome (we of course missed Ken and Lisa too.) Family is a special blessing, and I couldn't be luckier when it comes to my in laws. I don't even think of them that way- we are sealed, so I love them just as much as my own brother and sisters and their spouses too. And we are incredibly blessed to have so many living grandparents. We both have wonderful examples to follow. I hope your Thanksgivings were just as awesome.

1 comment:

jhoopes said...

Okay, your blog was down for a while there. Anyway--awesome about Spencer's parents!!! Can't wait to hear WHERE they are going!! Sounds like such a fun Thanksgiivng. I can't believe you guys drove so far. You and your vacations lately...