Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Coming Home

When Spence and I were first married we met this awesome couple in our ward- Scott and Michelle Hart. They are great friends and they introduced us to rock climbing. There was a gym in Logan like 3 minutes from our house and we would go climbing 3-4 times a week. It is the best sport to do as couples because you can totally go at your own pace and skill level without slowing anyone else down (or making them feel bad because you are better at it than them.) When we were able to go that often we really saw ourselves improve. Of course, life changes and with a baby we have not exactly had the time to dedicate to this 'wholesome recreational activity.' But as part of our New Year's Resolutions we have decided to go rock climbing at least once a month. So yesterday we went with my mom and dad. Mom watched Reese while the other 3 of us climbed. I know this is going to sound way too deep for what I'm talking about but it was like coming home. I had the best time. Sure, I'm not nearly as good as I was before but it was so nice to be just me and my little muscles and the wall.
Spence aka Spider Man. He is just so tall he skips holds all the time and is up the wall before I can even blink.
My dad is 53 and totally keeps up with me. He and I were doing all the same climbs.
You can't see my face but it is beaming with joy.
Even Reese enjoyed herself. We will be getting her into a climbing harness as soon as possible.
It would have been so easy to be discouraged because it has been so long and I kind of have to start over. But kind of the opposite things happened- I want to go back as much as I can so I can work back up to it. I love it- and when you have something in your life that you enjoy that much you have to figure out a way to make it work.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I haven't been climbing since before my mission....going on SIX YEARS! When I think about it, it makes me totally sad. I wish I could go...but, alas. Lack of equipment and two kiddos makes for mo rock climbing for me. Sad day. Your post made me totally nostalgic!